Moving can be a big job if you don't have a plan. We've been around the industry for nearly a century and we can tell you, the best thing you can do for yourself before a big move, is to have a plan in place with a checklist of items to do.
We've created a few ideas for things you could add to a checklist of your own:
Thirty Days Before
- Determine what you are going to move and start getting rid of everything else.
- Decide what you are going to pack yourself and what the movers will pack. The mover is not responsible for breakage of items you pack. Obtain packing cartons from the mover.
- Notify the post office of your new address. Fill out change of address cards.
- Gather medical and dental records for all family members.
- Notify schools and arrange to have transcripts and records forwarded to the new schools.
- Close local charge accounts.
- Start a possessions inventory.
- Create a file for documenting all moving papers and receipts.
Two Weeks Before
- Start packing. Do a little at a time. Don't try to do it all in a day or two. Use plastic bags to hold small and important parts.
- Return borrowed items and reclaim items borrowed from you.
- Arrange disconnect/connect dates with local utilities.
- Develop a floor plan to show the movers where you want your belongings placed in your new home.
One Week Before
- Dispose of all flammable materials. Dismantle outdoor play or gym equipment.
- Transfer bank accounts and contents of safe deposit box.
- Pack items you want to move yourself and mark "Do Not Move."
One Day Before
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer; let the appliances air out for 24 hours.
- Finish packing personal items.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Strip beds.
- Be present to answer movers' questions.
- Accompany movers through the house for an inventory of things to be moved.
- Confirm destination address with van operator. Also confirm time and date of delivery.
- Program the dispatcher's name and number into your cell phone.
- If home will be vacant for extended period, turn off water valves & gas valves to furnace, water heater & appliances.
- Close all windows and turn out all lights.
- Lock all doors.
- Look forward to enjoying your new home!